Monday, March 25, 2013

Gratitude for this Empathy Practice

I am so grateful for the opportunity to practice empathy in this way.

Sometimes it's a lot of work, sometimes I don't feel like it, but when I do it the rewards just keep coming.

Every time I push myself to listen with empathy to family and friends, my relationships become stronger. Every time that I push myself to say "how are you" to strangers, look them in the eye and MEAN IT, their minute interactions with me stay with me all day and for days afterwards.

There was a man with dark skin and a deep smile, who shared his joy at getting his palm leaves yesterday.
There was a young waitress, who shared her feelings about a expected late night at work, and the pluses (tips) and minuses (missing time with friends).
There was the hardworking sales representative I met on an airplane, who shared her memory of teasing about her uncommon name (Cassandra).

All these people stay with me, and my life is so much richer for them.

One of the reasons I write each week is to make connections to all of you. I do more work, but I feel like I know more about the lives of the people around me. And it truly brings me joy.

Have you connected with someone recently?

Janet


No comments: