Friday, February 8, 2013

Movie Review - Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves

You thought I was going to talk about empathy...well, not today. I'll do an empathy post soon. But in the meantime I'm going to share another snippet of my life in the hope that you will want to share something with me in the comments or on our facebook page.

If you know the movie and don't like it, here's someone else's review that agrees with you.

------------------------------

I love the movie. I love it in the way that I love my favorite socks, even with the holes and fuzzy spots. What I love about this movie is that there's just SO MUCH for me to think and talk about!

The movie is yes, another take on the classic tale of Robin Hood. So all the important characters are there, Robin, Friar Tuck, Will Scarlet, Little John, Maid Marion, and the Sheriff of Nottingham. But in this tale we also have some fabulous secondary characters that I love to watch again and again. Fanny, Little John's wife, is a strong woman willing to pick up a sword (in at least one scene) and is played by Soo Drouet. The Sherrif's cousin, Guy of Gisbourne, is played excellently by Michael Wincott.

The movie stars Alan Rickman as the Sherriff, and he's one of my favorite bad-guy actors. He's so much fun to watch, and has some great lines like "I'm gonna cut your heart out with a spoon". There's this one scene where he's telling some little kids that he's insane, and it just makes me laugh so hard every time I watch. It's kind of the precursor to his 'Professor Snape' bad guy to kids role, although I believe he's become a much better actor over time.

I have to talk a little bit about Kevin Costner here. I hear so often when I bring this movie up in conversation that it's a ridiculous movie, because Mr. Costner doesn't hold an English accent for more than half a line at a time. I agree with this statement but I still love how he plays the role. He plays Robin exactly as I imagine him. A little egotistical. A lot lacking in intelligence. Very physically skilled but emotionally kind of a child. A streak of honor that lasts a mile long. Yeah, I know I'm not going to be popular for saying this but I enjoy watching him act in this movie.


Although the movie did have a few female characters, I'm pretty sure it fails the bechdel test. If you don't know what I'm talking about read this. Marion has a handmaid, Mary, but they don't ever talk to each other. In one scene, Fanny is in labor and Marion is by her side, and Marion tells Fannie to 'bite down' on a stick. I don't think that counts as conversation, since Fanny doesn't say anything in response. Even if it did count as a conversation, it was a conversation about her soon-to-be-born baby son, so it would fail the test anyway.


Like I said - so much to talk about!!

I watch it and think, yes, they made some choices in casting that seem very silly to me now. I can picture a group of people sitting around a casting table and saying "Okay, to make sure we're including a larger audience, let's put in Christian Slater to capture the 18 and under crowd, since Kevin Costner is a bit older and may not appeal." However it also has Walter Sparrow as Robin's servant, who I just adore (he was also in another of my favorite movies, Ever After).

The costumes are cheesy (sorry I can't find a good link for that one).

---------------------------

I know it's not considered a good movie by everyone. I love it in spite of (or because of) the flaws. What about you? What movie do you love?

No comments: